Friday 12 September 2008

I pledge Allegiance to the United States of America

Today I had the pleasure of joining the other parents as we sat in on the Friday assembly at school.
All stand as the flag enters the room and the kids sang a little song
they then made the pledge - so if you dont know it here it is: - 

The Pledge of Allegiance

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.


Obviously we have no problem with him participating (well maybe a little sadness) but he is american and we are living in America, so thats understandable, I am not ready to stand there with my hand on my heart or left shoulder where ever they place it - it isnt necessary, but we should be able to encourage Nathaniel to learn the words and understand why he is doing it, I am not sure if teachers have discussed this - again i assume not! Your heritage is something to be proud of and lets face it, most of the American population stemmed back from Irish or scottish decent - a few will claim english heritage but it isnt as popular as being of celtic origin. They seem a little young to do this stuff, but oh well, the assembly was far to long and the noisy kids were the 4 and 5th graders!!

It was a nice event to see and I got to wave to Nathaniel - once he had stopped clowning around!!

No comments: