Tuesday 13 May 2008

Oliver, Oliver, never before has a boy wanted more.....




That line was very relevant for the Audience on Sunday Afternoon's performance of "Oliver", except I would swap the words to "never before has a girl wanted more". I definately wanted more energy from that cast.

I was so excited at the prospect of me seeing the new production of Oliver that i arranged a picnic for our friends who wanted to support Simon, it was a very hot day in San Anselmo but we all survived un-sunburned.

It was sounding fantastic the song "food" was sung I would swear by 40 english children as they perfectly sounded for that song, the cast came on one by one, it was going well and then the first hiccough - Simon lost his voice as he was trying to sing his song - hardly idea but it happens, I thought he would be Ok as he had a scene in the parlor next and I was sure he would have some water up there (he sings about 4 consecutive songs) unfortunately he didnt and he lost it again, widow corney was played superbly by Amanda Conran, who vocally was strong and sent her lines right to the back of the theater.

Oliver ( Michael) was much better than I though although a very timid boy n
ormally he carried the role with power and conviction and did really really well, apart from Amanda there were not any really "stand out" singers but the acting was all excellant (even if the cockney accents were not really around!)

I felt cheated after the performance, you may think  - why do I feel I have to say such harsh things, but I have become used to better theater than I saw and this is only MY opinion, I am no expert, I just know what i enjoy and I felt that all I saw was a tried performance by a lot of sick individuals - not their fault at all, and I felt bad for them as I knew they had b
een rehersing every night that week till very late in the night, so they hard run out of energy and I know they could have done so much better.

I would see it again just to prove to me they have more in them than what I saw but at $24 a ticket, it really isnt an option.

So I am left disapointed but really hope they use these days to rest and come back and knock everyone's socks off for the last 4 performances!!
Break a leg to all the cast!!


No comments: