Thursday 11 March 2010

The loneliness of the long distance runner



The loneliness of the long distance runner - what does that mean to you?? I read an article probably last year about how lonely it can be training to run long distance events. I agreed at the time but recently (after having taken a break from running) since I have been trying to get out an about running more i have seen a different side to that statement!

Running alone can be lonely but so can any thing if you are doing your journey alone, I am not always alone but when I am I have stopped listening to my ipod and started listening to the world around be, trees swaying in the wind, birds tweeting, cars driving past and strangers saying "hello". For me I am definitely not wanting to sprint to the finish line but instead "enjoy the journey and help those who need company or support.

On a recent bike ride Nathaniel told me "I cant go on, I will never make it home" (we were 2 houses from home but if anyone has taken on a hard journey they know that feeling). Don't worry I said I Know you can do it and if you are really struggling you can just get off your bike and walk the rest of the way, he cycled on and made it home. The next day that same ride was a little easier.

So the morale of today is...enjoy today whatever challenges you have and you can overcome anything alone or with the friends around you

happy Thursday


1 comment:

Keli said...

While I love running with my pals, the stillness of a solo run is quite enjoyable!

Keli :)
http://marinbreakfastklub.wordpress.com