Sunday 25 April 2010

Life in the old dog yet!



So I embarked on a 10k run this weekend. It was not something I expected to be good at, over weight and under trained I felt that this could be a necessity to spur me on the better health and fitness.

The packet pick up day is always exciting, I enjoy seeing the booths and the spirit of the race, I dont get this excitement at home as Simon and Nathaniel dont really understand how hard these things are to participate in or how fun they can be!

So this morning I headed off at 6.30 to park and get the shuttle to the start! Surprisingly it was pretty quiet I am used to bigger Marathons and there were onlt 700 people registered for all races and 112 for the 10k, we waited for our start which ended up being delayed due to poor planning and the 1/2 marathoners were still coming up the hill in an abundance when we were due to start on the same path, so a slight delay then.....

Suddenly I am off racing down the hill from Mcnears beach telling myself, go slow warm up it will be fine, the first mile was easy and then my achiles on both legs started hurting, every step hurt and I was regretting my decision to run, I struggled on back up the hill passing mile 2 and mile 3, by mile 4 the sun was out and high in the trees and I was warming up, 4,5 and 6 was pretty much a downhill then a back uphill and the last .4 was trail along the seashore.

My official time was 49.21 a good 6 seconds off my personal best and I placed 13th in the women, 25th overall (men and women combined) and 4th in my age group!

Not bad indeed!!

Now as keli would say - go out and run!

No comments: