Monday 19 April 2010

THe Scouting Movement




So Nathaniel and I spent the last 4 days at the scouting 100th Anniversary jamboree, camping for me always fills me with dread, seems like too much work but once I am there and my tent is up I usually have a good time.Baden Powel has achieved greatness with the organisation that he formed over 102 years ago and following 100 years ago with girl guides/scouts and the Boy scouts of America. Having moved through the girl guide movement in the UK I learned many skills and mostly I would say "organisation", "thinking for yourself" and "teamwork" were some of the valued skills I used as I left school and started my career. I helped celebrate the 75th Anniversary 25 years ago.

For Nathaniel I wanted him to experience that too and learn some independent thinking but also working as a team towards a goal.

The 100th Anniversary event was probably a bit wasted on him at 6 years old he doesnt understand the point of the scouting movement but instead he just has a good time camping with his friends and at some point you just have to let them do that! Friendship is a good thing to learn at cub scouts too!!
The boys enjoyed the usual activities of Archery, Soccer, BBguns, lighting fires and many other things as well as the more fun events of campfire and smores.

So, scouting continues to bring boys (and parents) of all ages over to enjoy and c
elebrate learning and friendship and i don't think there is any sign of it stopping anytime soon!!

No comments: